Have you wondered why sometimes you feel lazy and unmotivated yet you have a lot to do? It’s a puzzle when you have all you need to complete the tasks but you feel like you do not work! There is a mistaken belief that consuming material about motivation leads to productivity. Research has shown that this might help for a little while, but then procrastination kicks in.
Create a conducive environment
If you want to start your day feeling good and ready to go, start from the day before. It took me a long time to realize this and I feel like it’s one of the best kept secrets. What is your bedtime routine? The trick is to go to bed feeling good which leads to waking up with the same mood. It’s the pampering yourself before sleep kind of thing.
Having a nourishing night routine works wonders regarding how you feel going to bed and when you wake up the next day.
- What is the condition of your home? Waking up to a messy house is always a drag. It’s powerful waking up to a clean and organized environment, it’s why we smile first thing in the morning and feel good when we are on vacation. Our rooms are made perfectly and all is clean. Carry this with you in your daily life. It is best done just before preparing for bed that way no one will have the chance to mess it up before you wake up!
- Layout clothes for the next day; does not matter if you’re working from home, pick up what you will wear the next day. This helps you save time and save your energy for more important decisions.
- Write a rough list of what needs to be done the next day. Doing this results in you preparing automatically. If you need to visit your publisher the next day, you will feel the need to put the manuscript in your bag just so you’re ready to go in the morning. Maybe you need to apply for 3 jobs tomorrow, your mind will ask which ones? and as you break down your tasks into these small steps, it leads to simplicity of your tasks thus productivity.
- Take a warm shower before bedtime. It works, I promise you! showering at night creates a feeling of freshness and leads to restful sleep
- A simple skincare routine. This tricks your brain into thinking that you’re taking extra care of yourself, that you must be very valuable! It creates good energy and a warm relaxing feeling. It could be as simple as moisturizing your face and neck every day after your night shower. The brain is aware that you’re going to bed; not out where people will see your moisturized face, but to sleep and so it automatically creates a feeling of doing something for just you, self pampering.
This is one that a lot of people struggle with especially if your work involves creativity that you will present to others and provide a platform for judgement. This leads to overthinking and in most cases procrastination with excuses of why things won’t work until you achieve your perfection standards. Motivation should be derived by the fact that you’re putting yourself out there and improving daily. If you’re new to a new job, realise that mistakes will be made but then you will learn and correct them
Be mindful and take mini steps to improve yourself.
Realize that you need to move to be healthy. exercise daily. Take five minutes everyday to do bodyweight exercises. This will not add the burden of paying for and going to the gym or taking up a lot of your time. Take care of what you put in your body. What you eat plays a big role in how you feel and so it should be done mindfully.
Motivation starts from inside you. once you’ve mastered how to manipulate your feelings, you’ll find that productivity will come automatically